Debbie Reynolds passed away just one day after her daughter Carrie Fisher died from a heart attack. See these heartwarming and occasionally heartbreaking collection of mother and daughter throughout the years.
1. Pop singer Eddie Fisher and actor Debbie Reynolds in the first picture with daughter, Carrie, who was born on 21 October 1956.
2. Eddie Fisher and his wife, Debbie Reynolds, gaze proudly at their baby daughter in 1956.
3. The pair divorced in 1959. Reynolds/Fisher family in 1956
4. The young Fisher family in better times, 1956.
5. A smiling Carrie with her proud parents, 1956
6. Debbie Reynolds with 23-month-old Carrie Fisher smiles as she leaves the house in 1958 to visit friends in California. Husband Eddie Fisher and Miss Reynolds later declared their separation.
7. Before the split, Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds also had a son together, Todd Fisher, born in February 1958.
8. Fisher, three, gives mom a hug in their home in West Los Angeles in 1959.
9. Reynolds and Fisher were on the set of “Say One For Me” in 1959. Fisher said: ‘My mother would get up in the morning as my mother, and then she’d go into this big closet she had …she’d go in on this end as my mom, and she’d come out the other end as Debbie Reynolds. It was like a car wash for celebrities.’ quote from Oprah Winfrey Show in 2011
10. Actress Debbie Reynolds and her daughter Carrie have different expressions before boarding an American Airlines jet at LaGuardia Airport here, June 3, 1959. Debbie was en route to Hollywood to perform scenes for a new movie.
11. Debbie Reynolds on set with her daughter in 1959.
12. Reynolds was with her two children while she worked long hours on the set of Say One For Me in 1959, so that she can fly to Spain and start filming another movie, “It Started with a Kiss.”
13. Carrie watches her mother performing on stage, 1963
14. Debbie Reynolds with her daughter Carrie Fisher in 1965.
15. Fisher and Reynolds were at Reynolds’ opening night at the Desert Inn in Las Vegas in 1971.
16. The teenage Carrie Fisher with Debbie Reynolds in 1972.
17. This photo shows the mother-daughter duo in 1972, five years before Carrie would appear as Princess Leia in the original Star Wars.
18. Reynolds and Fisher were at the School Benefit at Town Hall in New York, 1972.
19. Carrie and Todd Fisher, Debbie Reynolds at the opening of the musical Irene at Minskoff Theater in New York, 1973. Carrie Fisher would make her breakthrough in Star Wars In 1977. ‘People used to call her Debbie Reynolds’ daughter,’ her mother said. ‘Now they call me Princess Leia’s mother!’
20. Mother and daughter performed together in 1974. ‘If anything, my mother taught me how to sur-thrive. That’s my word for it,’ Fisher said.
21. Carrie and her mother, after she opened in the Broadway production of Censored Scenes From King Kong in 1980.
22. Here they smile in 1983 at a crowd that has gathered to celebrate Reynolds’ return to Broadway in Woman of the Year.
23. Here after Reynolds won the fifth annual Gypsy Award for excellence in dance in 1991.